Introduction of Vittoriosa
Town on the Grand Harbor opposite Valletta. With Cospicua and Senglea it was one of the Three Cities of Malta and was of considerable importance during the Middle Ages. In 1530 it became the first residence of the Knights of St. John on Malta and was their refuge during the Turks’ Great Siege of Malta in 1565. It was replaced as the knights’ capital by Valletta in 1570.