Introduction of Valparaiso
City and capital of Valparaiso department, on a bay of the Pacific Ocean, 75 mi WNW of Santiago.
Founded in 1536 by Juan de Saavedra, it was occupied by Sir Francis Drake in 1578 and by Sir John Hawkins in 1595. It was bombarded by Spain in 1866. The city has suffered many earthquakes, of which the most severe was in 1906 when nearly all the city was destroyed.