Introduction of Tiraspol
City in Moldova, on the Dniester River, 55 mi NW of Odessa. It was established in 1795 as a Russian fortress at the location of a Moldavian settlement.
It became the capital of the Moldavian Autonomous Republic in 1924 and remained so until 1940. During the Nazi occupation of 1941–44 most the Jewish population was exterminated. The Russians took the city back in 1944. In 1990 a referendum declared Tiraspol an independent territory and the capitol of the self-proclaimed autonomous region of Trans-Dniestria.