Introduction of Timisoara
City and capital of Timis district, on the Beja canal, in the Banat region, 28 mi NE of Belgrade, Serbia, in W Romania. The chief city of the former banat of Temesvar or Timisoara, it was an ancient Roman settlement and was razed by the Tatars in the 13th century. It was under the Ottoman Empire from 1552 until 1716, when it was captured by Austria.
Formally declared a part of Austria by the Treaty of Passarowitz in 1718, it was colonized by Swabian Germans. During the revolution of 1848 it withstood a 107-day long siege by Hungarian revolutionaries. It was assigned to Romania in 1920. In 1989 the popular uprising against the Ceausescu regime started here.