Introduction of Tenes
Town and port in el-Asnam province, on the Mediterranean Sea, 24 mi N of Orleansville, N central Algeria. It was established c. a.d. 875 by colonists from Spain at the location of the former Roman and Phoenician colonies of Catenna. It was occupied by Tlemcen from 1299 until 1517, when it fell to the corsair Barbarossa. France occupied it in 1843.