Introduction of Szekesfehervar
City and seat of Fejer county, in the W central region.
Settled in Roman times, it was the first capital of the Magyar kings and capital of Hungary until the 14th century. During the Middle Ages it was still called Alba Regia. It was an important fortress town. Many of its buildings were destroyed at the end of the Turkish occupation of Hungary between 1686 and 1688.
The town was rebuilt in the 18th century but was again severely damaged during World War II. The foundations of the medieval cathedral, where the kings of Hungary were crowned and were buried, and the royal palace have been excavated and are on view.