Introduction of Stamford
City in SW Connecticut, on Long Island Sound. Itwas settled in 1641 by 28 people who moved fromWethersfield, Connecticut. Three years later about athird of them moved on to Long Island . The settlementbecame part of the colony of Connecticut in 1662. In1893 a city government was formed within the townshipof Stamford, and in 1949 the two governmentswere merged into one. The First Presbyterian Church,built in 1958, is notable because it is in the form of afish, an ancient Christian symbol. It was designed bytwo well-known American architects, Wallace K. Harrisonand Max Abramovitz. In recent years a numberof large corporations have moved to Stamford and made it an important center of industrial activity.