Introduction of Segou
Port town in the SW, on the Niger River. Developed in the late 17th century as the capital of a Bambara kingdom, it reached its peak in the 18th century. It was taken in 1861 by Al-hajj Umar, a militant Muslim reformer who ruled until 1864, when he was succeeded by his son, Ahmadu. The latter made Segou his capital and ruled until 1890. The town was occupied by the French from that year and was their headquarters for development on the Niger River, beginning in 1932.