Introduction of Savona
Major port on the Gulf of Genoa, capital of Savonaprovince, Liguria region, in the NW, 3 mi WSW ofGenoa. This Gallo-Roman center was first mentionedc. 205 b.c. during the Second Punic War as a Carthaginianbase. It was destroyed by the Lombards ina.d. 641 before becoming the seat of a marquisate inthe Middle Ages. In continuous rivalry with Genoa, itfinally fell to that city in 1528. Under French rulefrom 1805 to 1815, during the Napoleonic period, itpassed to Savoy in 1815. Savona contains a distinctive16th-century castle and a cathedral partially fromthe 16th century.