Introduction of Santa cruz
Capital city of Santa Cruz department, on the Piray River, 180 mi NE of Sucre. Founded in 1560 by Nuflo de Chavez as a Jesuit missionary center, it was moved to its present site in 1595 after repeated Indian attacks.
One of the earliest revolutionary centers, it declared itself independent in 1811 before it was temporarily recaptured by the Spanish. A trading and processing center today, it contains many historical buildings and is the site of a rail line, built in 1962, that allows access to both the Pacific and the Atlantic oceans.