Introduction of Santa ana
Capital city of Santa Ana department, 32 mi NW of San Salvador. The second-largest city of El Salvador, it is a commercial and industrial center as well as an historically important city. Known as Santa Ana since 1708, it became the capital of the department in 1855. Besides the Spanish Gothic cathedral and El Calvario church, other historic buildings include the city hall, a theater, an art school, and a garrisoned fortress. Chalchuapa is nine miles to the W.