Introduction of Saint-Jean-De-Maurienne
City of S Quebec, on the Richelieu River, 21 mi SE ofMontreal. Fort St. Jean, built 1748, and an earlierfortification on the site were important in the 17thand 18th centuries, especially as a British base duringthe American Revolution. British soldiers herechecked General Richard Montgomery's advance in1775, during the unsuccessful Quebec campaign. St.Jean was also the terminus of the first railroad inCanada, which was run from Laprairie in 1836.Town, in the Savoie department, in the SE, 28 mi SEof Chambery. The old capital of the Alpine MaurienneValley, this was an ecclesiastical town from thesixth century and is an episcopal see. An Allied conferencewas held here April 19, 1917. The town has a15th-century cathedral.