Introduction of Saint-Jean-De-Luz
City of S Quebec, on the Richelieu River, 21 mi SE ofMontreal. Fort St. Jean, built 1748, and an earlierfortification on the site were important in the 17thand 18th centuries, especially as a British base duringthe American Revolution. British soldiers herechecked General Richard Montgomery's advance in1775, during the unsuccessful Quebec campaign. St.Jean was also the terminus of the first railroad inCanada, which was run from Laprairie in 1836.Resort town, in the Pyrenees-Atlantiques department,in the SW, on the Bay of Biscay. Near the Spanishborder, it was a prosperous commercial center in theMiddle Ages and an important fishing and trading portfrom the 14th to 17th centuries. Its Basque fishermenwere the first to exploit the Newfoundland codfishbanks, in 1520. In 1660 Louis XIV married MariaTheresa of Austria in this town. There is a 16th-centuryBasque church here. See Basques Provinces.