Introduction of Saint gotthard pass
Mountain pass in the Lepontine Alps, in the SE, the source for the Reuss, Rhine, Ticino, and Rhone rivers.
An important and well-traveled pass since the Middle Ages, its approaches were originally guarded by the League of the Three Cantons. At least by the 14th century, a hospice was established here to give aid to travelers. Destroyed by the French in 1800, it was reconstructed but burned down completely in 1905.