Introduction of Polish-Corridor
A narrow strip of land , no more than approximately50 mi wide. The area was first colonized by the Polish,but was taken by the Teutonic Knights in 1309. It wasgiven to Poland under the Treaty of Versailles in 1919,which gained access to the Baltic Sea and the greatport of Gdansk (then Danzig). It separated the Germanprovinces of East Prussia and Pomerania and was therefore a bone of contention between Poland and Germany. When Hitler's demand for the cessionof the free city of Danzig was refused, he sent histroops into Poland on September 1, 1939, precipitatingWorld War II. The area was returned to Poland ,along with Gdansk, in 1945 after World War II.