__________________________

Philadelphia



Introduction of Philadelphia
City in SE Pennsylvania, on the Delaware River.For nearly three centuries from the colonial era on,the “City of Brotherly Love” has been a leading cityin population, commerce, industry, and culture. Duringthe American Revolution, it was the birthplace ofthe nation. The first Europeans to settle here wereSwedes in the 1640s. In 1681 William Penn, who hadbeen granted the region that became the colony ofPennsylvania, founded the city as a Quaker town.Philadelphia progressed rapidly in the colonial eraand by the time of the American Revolution was secondonly to London in population in the Englishspeakingworld. Benjamin Franklin was its leadingcitizen.The First Continental Congress met here in 1774and the second in the following year. In 1776 theCongress formally adopted the Declaration of Independencehere on July 4. The British captured the cityin September 1777 and held it until June 1778. Afterthe Revolution, the Constitutional Convention met inPhiladelphia and on September 17, 1787, adopted theConstitution of the United States, subject to ratificationby the states. The city was the capital of thenation from 1790 to 1800 and was the state capitaluntil 1799. As it lost its political leadership to Washington,D.C., it was also losing its commercial,financial, and cultural leadership to New York City.Philadelphia, however, was the seat of the government-sponsored Banks of the United States, whichwere active from 1791 to 1811 and from 1816 to1836. The city was strongly Unionist in the CivilWar.In 1876 the Centennial Exposition was held here,bringing visitors from all over the world. For a centurysince then, Philadelphia has remained a majorport, manufacturing, banking, and insurance center.It has many points of interest, such as IndependenceHall, the Liberty Bell, and the Betsy Ross House. Thecity is the home of a U.S. mint and of the AmericanPhilosophical Society, the first scientific society in thecountry, founded in 1743. The Association of AmericanGeographers was founded here in 1904.City in SE Pennsylvania, on the Delaware River.For nearly three centuries from the colonial era on,the “City of Brotherly Love” has been a leading cityin population, commerce, industry, and culture. Duringthe American Revolution, it was the birthplace ofthe nation. The first Europeans to settle here wereSwedes in the 1640s. In 1681 William Penn, who hadbeen granted the region that became the colony ofPennsylvania, founded the city as a Quaker town.Philadelphia progressed rapidly in the colonial eraand by the time of the American Revolution was secondonly to London in population in the Englishspeakingworld. Benjamin Franklin was its leadingcitizen.The First Continental Congress met here in 1774and the second in the following year. In 1776 theCongress formally adopted the Declaration of Independencehere on July 4. The British captured the cityin September 1777 and held it until June 1778. Afterthe Revolution, the Constitutional Convention met inPhiladelphia and on September 17, 1787, adopted theConstitution of the United States, subject to ratificationby the states. The city was the capital of thenation from 1790 to 1800 and was the state capitaluntil 1799. As it lost its political leadership to Washington,D.C., it was also losing its commercial,financial, and cultural leadership to New York City.Philadelphia, however, was the seat of the government-sponsored Banks of the United States, whichwere active from 1791 to 1811 and from 1816 to1836. The city was strongly Unionist in the CivilWar.In 1876 the Centennial Exposition was held here,bringing visitors from all over the world. For a centurysince then, Philadelphia has remained a majorport, manufacturing, banking, and insurance center.It has many points of interest, such as IndependenceHall, the Liberty Bell, and the Betsy Ross House. Thecity is the home of a U.S. mint and of the AmericanPhilosophical Society, the first scientific society in thecountry, founded in 1743. The Association of AmericanGeographers was founded here in 1904.

Philadelphia Images