Introduction of Petrodvorets
Town on Neva Bay, 12 mi W of St. Petersburg, NW St. Petersburg oblast, Russia. Founded in 1711 by Peter the Great as the site of imperial palaces, it was designed to rival Versailles as one of the greatest courts in Europe. The palaces were converted into museums under the Soviet regime. Peter the Great’s Grand Palace of 1720 was the most lavish, and all the palaces created here were famous for their gardens and fountains. The town was badly damaged in World War II.