Introduction of Mendoza
City and provincial capital approximately 60 mi SE of Alconcagua. It was settled by Spanish colonists from Chile c. 1560 and belonged to Chile until 1776. It was the headquarters of San Martin for training troops to march across the Andes in 1817 in the liberation of Chile from Spain. It is the site of a Franciscan monastery that serves as the burial place of Argentine national heroes. The present city is located near the ruins of the original, which was almost totally destroyed by earthquake in 1861.