Introduction of Machu picchu
Ruins of an Inca fortress city, located approximately 50 mi NW of Cuzco, between two high peaks overlooking the Urubamba River, approximately 9,000 ft high. This pre-Columbian stone city was discovered almost intact in 1911 by Hiram Bingham and includes temples and a citadel surrounded by houses and terraced fields. These spread over an area of five square miles and are linked by at least 3,000 steps. Legend relates that the city was the home of the Incas prior to their migration to Cuzco. It was their last stronghold after the Spanish conquest. The Spanish never came across the site.