Introduction of Lugano
Town in Ticino canton, on Lake Lugano, 13 mi S of Bellinzona. It was first mentioned in the sixth century a.d. It was occupied by France in 1499 and captured by the Swiss in 1512. From 1798 to 1803 it was the center of Lugano canton of the Helvetic Republic. It was Mazzini’s headquarters from 1848 to 1866 during his struggle to expel the Austrians from Lombardy.