__________________________

Granville



Introduction of Granville
Fortified port and town in the Manche department,on the Gulf of St. Malo, 30 mi SW of Saint-LС„, and 85 mi SW of Cherbourg. Fortified by the English in1437, it was taken by the French in 1441, during theHundred Years' War. It was bombarded and burnedby the English in 1695 and was besieged by the Vendeansin 1793. It was bombarded again by the Britishin 1803 and 1808, during the Napoleonic Wars. InWorld War II it was taken by U.S. forces on July 30,1944. It contains a 12th-century church, partlyRomanesque and partly late Gothic.Fortified port and town in the Manche department,on the Gulf of St. Malo, 30 mi SW of Saint-LС„, and 85 mi SW of Cherbourg. Fortified by the English in1437, it was taken by the French in 1441, during theHundred Years' War. It was bombarded and burnedby the English in 1695 and was besieged by the Vendeansin 1793. It was bombarded again by the Britishin 1803 and 1808, during the Napoleonic Wars. InWorld War II it was taken by U.S. forces on July 30,1944. It contains a 12th-century church, partlyRomanesque and partly late Gothic.

Granville Images