Introduction of Eger
City and seat of Heves county, on the Eger River, 25 mi SW of Miskolc. One of the first Magyar tribal cities in eastern Europe, it was made a bishopric by St. Stephen in the 11th century a.d. and was destroyed by the Tatars in the 13th century. Once rebuilt, it was conquered in 1596 by the Turks, who held it until 1687 and made it an important Muslim outpost. It became an archiepiscopal see in 1814 and was called the “Rome of Hungary” because of its many religious buildings.