__________________________

Chemnitz



Introduction of Chemnitz
Ancient city on the Chemnitz River, 43 mi SE ofLeipzig. It was originally a Wendish trading center onan important salt route, and in a.d. 1143 was charteredand given a linen-weaving monopoly. It passedto Bohemia in 1292 and to the margraves of Meissenin 1308. During the Thirty Years' War it was devastated.It was the scene of the defeat in 1639 of Imperialforces by the Swedes under Field Marshal JohanBaner. The introduction of cotton milling and knittingrevived it after the war, and the first German textilemachinery was made here. Restored after extensivedamage in World War II, it has a town hall from 1496,a medieval tower, and a Benedictine monastery from1136, fortified in 1540, with a Gothic church and valuable sculptures. Its name was changed to Karl-Marx-Stadt in 1953 and back to Chemnitz in 1991.Ancient city on the Chemnitz River, 43 mi SE ofLeipzig. It was originally a Wendish trading center onan important salt route, and in a.d. 1143 was charteredand given a linen-weaving monopoly. It passedto Bohemia in 1292 and to the margraves of Meissenin 1308. During the Thirty Years' War it was devastated.It was the scene of the defeat in 1639 of Imperialforces by the Swedes under Field Marshal JohanBaner. The introduction of cotton milling and knittingrevived it after the war, and the first German textilemachinery was made here. Restored after extensivedamage in World War II, it has a town hall from 1496,a medieval tower, and a Benedictine monastery from1136, fortified in 1540, with a Gothic church and valuable sculptures. Its name was changed to Karl-Marx-Stadt in 1953 and back to Chemnitz in 1991.

Chemnitz Images