Introduction of Campeche
Port, city, and capital of Campeche province on the Gulf of Campeche, 95 mi SW of Merida. Old colonial port founded in 1540 by the Spanish, it was frequently sacked in the 17th century by English and pirate fleets. It was one of the three ports on the Gulf of Mexico in the 18th century. It suffered a two-year blockade by the French from 1862 to 1864. A 16thcentury church and other remains survive.