Introduction of Brno
City in Jihomoravsky province, 115 mi SE of Prague, at the confluence of the Svitava and Svratka rivers, central Czech Republic. Situated in an area inhabited since prehistoric times. Brno was colonized in the 13th century a.d. by Germans and incorporated in 1243. Under the margraves of Moravia the city withstood the sieges of the Hussites in 1428, the Bohemians in 1464, and the Swedes in 1645. It was occupied by the French in 1805 before the Battle of Austerlitz. After World War II the German population was expelled. The Bren gun was developed at Brno.